Is putting up barbed wire illegal?

Given the fact that barbed wire is quite a hazard to people and animals, it’s been mostly banned in urban areas. That means you probably can’t install it in a residential area in a town or city, as it’s most likely prohibited.

Is it illegal to have barbed wire?

Although not illegal to use for security and prevention purposes, there are some forms of legislation to be considered when using barbed wire. … The act says that if barbed wire is being used on a property that is adjacent to a public road – it must not be hazardous or act as a nuisance to drivers.

Is barbed wire illegal in the UK?

Installation. When installed correctly razor wire is perfectly legal here in the UK, It is advised that razor wire is installed correctly over 1.8 metres in height (6ft) with appropriate signage.

Can I put barbed wire in my garden?

Can I put Barbed Wire on my Garden Fence? As long as it is on your property and fence are able to use barbed wire as a deterrent. … Furthermore, if your property borders that of a public route it must not cause a nuisance to people or animals.

Is it legal to put spikes on fence?

People considering various perimeter security solutions to bolster security around their homes and work premises often ask: Are anti climb spikes legal? The answer to this question is: yes they are – but you need to use them in accordance with the law.

What can I use instead of barbed wire?

If you require a wire fence, replace the barbed wire with plain wire or white plastic coated wire.

How do you dispose of barbed wire UK?

Old, unwanted metals such as gates, barbed wire or broken garden tools can be taken to some recycling centres. These items can be recycled at CEC Community Recycling Centres.

Is it legal to use razor wire on your fence?

Is It Legal To Barbed Wire On My Fence? In rural areas barbed wire is commonly used to control stock movements and no special permission is required for this. … However, in most urban areas your fence will need to be 2 metres high and you will need council permission.